Thursday, November 3, 2011

Why I Use Tennis Shoes, Toe Clips, and Straps For Cycling

There are a lot of cycling shoes out there.  Some are quite fancy, like the bindings on ski boots.

However, I've always used my leather tennis shoes with classic toe clips and straps.





Years ago I lived in Vancouver, BC, and had no car.  I rode my bike through the entire wet winters.  When you ride in the rain, the water will splash up to your feet.  Fenders will help, but your feet will still get wet.  And cold.

I found that leather tennis shoes worked the best.  The leather provides both water resistance, and insulation from the cold.

If you ride with shoes that are made of nylon, they get cold and wet really fast.  It's not fun at all.

The other advantage with tennis shoes is that you can walk around in normal shoes, in the normal manner.  You can even pick your bike up on your shoulder, and run, as in cyclo cross.

You don't need to buy another pair of special cycling shoes to only use when you go cycling.

The white tennis shoes are acceptable in some night spots, where other running shoes are not.

So, lots of advantages.

Why not other styles? Cross trainers are built up on the outside.  These don't go into the toe clips very well.  Nylon running shoes are also built up on both edges.  The nylon will not only be cold in the wet, they also won't go in and out of the toe clips very well.  And when they do, the nylon will get cut by the toe clip.  Dress shoes have a sole that is too flexible, not enough support.  You can feel too much of the pedal.

The only disadvantage is trying to find such a shoe these days.  I finally found mine at the Reebok outlet store.

2 comments:

  1. I could not agree more! I'm trying to find a new pair of Adidas Arthur Ashe tennis shoes for my steel Raleigh Carlton 70's vintage bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree more! I'm trying to find a new pair of Adidas Arthur Ashe tennis shoes for my steel Raleigh Carlton 70's vintage bike!

    ReplyDelete